Brock Lesnar suspended after raining down elbows on Randy Orton, after Orton accused him of taking steroids

Posted by moku 3 years ago in News
Story Continues Below

Brock Lesnar, fresh off beating Mark Hunt at UFC 200 in July, took on 12-time world champion Randy Orton in the main event. Most figured The Beast would score a win, but none could predict the way he did it.

Lesnar won the match by TKO, literally leaving Orton in a pool of his own blood.

After about 11 minutes of wrestling -- main event matches usually last around 20 -- Lesnar started pounding on Orton. He mounted him, hit him with a barrage of punches and some nasty looking elbows. The referee stopped the match shortly thereafter.

Since 2009, blood has been a big no-go in WWE. So much so that then-champion Batista was fined $100,000 for blading in a match. (Wrestlers cut themselves with small blades, because this is apparently the safest way to intentionally bleed). Given this, fans were naturally confused to see Orton left lying in massive amounts of blood.

This, mixed with the abrupt ending, led some to speculate that Lesnar had gone into business for himself, going off-script and "shooting" on Orton.

Some even thought Lesnar was spurred by steroid rage, referencing his two failed drug tests related to his bout with Mark Hunt in July.

Thankfully, that's not the case.

"I was told that was the [planned] finish," wrestling journalist Bryan Alvarez said on Wrestling Observer Radio, recorded alongside Dave Meltzer on Sunday. He added that it's not yet known if the blood was part of the plan, or if Lesnar and Orton had colluded amongst themselves to heighten the drama.

The beat down was so physical that it wasn't just fans who thought it was real. It was reported by Meltzer on Monday that Chris Jericho, an industry veteran of over 20 years, blew up backstage when he thought Orton had been taken advantage of. It got so heated that he and Lesnar nearly came to blows.

Click to View or Post Comments Hide Comments